Assignment 2: LASA 1 Principles of Persuasion
An environmental organization would like to film a pro-recycling public service announcement and have brought you on as a consultant to help them better understand the principles of persuasion and how they should be applied in this PSA. As part of your presentation to the organization you will need to educate them on the principles of persuasion (using what has been learned through previous research) that will need to be applied to their PSA. asfaf
By the due date assigned, you should create a PowerPoint presentation.
In the first 4 to 6 slides of your presentation you will need to:
· Summarize at least two previous research studies on persuasion.
· How were the principles of persuasion studied?
· Was the research valid? Why or why not?
· What was learned through these studies that can be applied to the creation of the above PSA?
In your next 6 to 10 slides you will incorporate all you have learned about the art of persuasion to create your own PSA PowerPoint presentation to present to this organization that they will use to guide the filming of their video.
In this presentation you will need to:
· Present a creative argument that will persuade the viewers of the need to recycle, which the video will be based on.
· Use at least two primary principles of persuasion within this presentation.
· In the final slide outline which two or more principles were used and why they were a good fit for this PSA.
Your total presentation should be a minimum of 10 to 16 slides (not including your title and reference slides). For your project you will need to be creative in the use of your graphics and fonts in addition to discussing and applying the principles of persuasion.
For this assignment, please use your text book along with additional resources from the Argosy Library.
Suggested additional resources:
· Wood, W. (2000). Attitude change: Persuasion and social influence. Annual Review of Psychology, 51, 539-570.
· Cialdini, R.B. & Goldstein, N.J. (2004). Social influence: Compliance and conformity. Annual Review of Psychology, 55, 591-621.
· Schwarz, N. (1998). Warmer and more social: Recent developments in cognitive social psychology. Annual Review of Sociology, 24, 239-264.
· Cialdini, R.B. (2003). Crafting normative messages to protect the environment. Current Directions in Psychological Science.105-109.
Assignment 2 Grading Criteria
Discuss at least two previous research studies on persuasion.
Analyze the two studies and discuss the principles of persuasion studied and whether the research conducted is valid.
Describe what is learned through the studies and how it can be applied to the creation of a pro-recycling PSA.
A creative argument is presented that will persuade the viewers of the need to recycle, which the video will be based on.
Use at least two primary principles of persuasion within the presentation.
Final slide outlines the principles that are used and why they are a good fit for this PSA.
Standard presentation components:Organization (12 points): Introduction, transitions, and conclusion;Style (4 points): Tone, audience, and word choiceUsage and Mechanics (12 points): Grammar, spelling, and sentence structureAPA Elements (16 points): In text citations and references, paraphrasing, and appropriate use of quotations and other elements of style
Assignment 2: LASA 2 Reducing Intergroup Conflict
Research suggests a number of strategies to reduce intergroup conflict. To further explore these strategies, in addition to readings in your text, read the following article paying particular attention to pages 588 to 593. Hewstone, M., Rubin, M., & Willis, H. (2002). Intergroup bias. Annual Review of Psychology, 53, 575-604.
You are a counselor in a detention center for delinquent adolescent boys. Your current project is to devise a way to reduce intergroup conflict that has been escalating between the boys at the center, many of whom were active in local gangs.
· Discuss the different strategies to reduce intergroup conflict found in your text and the Hewstone article.
· Looking back at the course discuss 2 to 3 additional concepts that could be applied in helping a person overcome these negative attitudes and behaviors.
· Keeping these strategies and concepts in mind, what activities and/or programs can you create that will help these boys overcome this conflict and learn to work together, respect each other, and come to see each other’s differences as valuable. Briefly summarize each program/strategy in 2 to 3 sentences each in preparation for part 2 of this project.
Answer the above points in a 3- to 4-page paper. Your paper should be double-spaced, typed in 12-point Times New Roman font with normal one-inch margins, written in APA style, and free of typographical and grammatical errors. It should include a title page with a running head, an abstract, and a reference page.
Create a 4- to 8-slide PowerPoint presentation (not including title and reference slides) to present to the board of directors for the detention center that will cover the following:
· A detailed outline of each of the 3 to 4 programs/strategies that you would like to put into place at the center.
· Discuss for each program/strategy why you believe it will be effective within the context of your detention center.
By the due date assigned deliver your assignment to the Submissions Area.
Assignment 1 Grading Criteria
Discusses the concepts that lead to the intergroup conflict and how behaviors created and perpetuated the ongoing conflict.
Discusses the different strategies to reduce intergroup conflict and cites relevant resources for the text and the Hewstone article.
Discusses 2 to 3 additional concepts that could be applied to overcoming the negative attitudes and behaviors
Develops and summarizes 3 to 4 activities and/or programs that can be implemented.
Create a 4- to 8-slide PowerPoint presentation (not including title and reference slides) to present to the board of directors for the detention center that will cover the following: A detailed outline of each of the 3 to 4 programs/strategies that you would like to put into place at the center. (40 points) Discuss why you believe each program/strategy will be effective within the context of your detention center. (28 points)
Standard presentation components:Organization (16 points): Introduction, transitions, and conclusion. Style (8 points): Tone, audience, and word choice.Usage and Mechanics (16 points): Grammar, spelling, and sentence structure.APA Elements (24 points): In text citations and references, paraphrasing, and appropriate use of quotations and other elements of style.