Part 1: Legal Responses to Child Abuse
- In 2015, CA had 379,806 total referrals for child abuse and neglect
- Of those, 235, 297 reports were referred for investigation (62%)
- Of the 30,317 children exiting out-of-home care in 2014 in California, 56% were reunited with their parents or primary caretakers (kidsdata.org, 2015).
- Based on the above statistics, why do you think only 62% of reports were referred to investigation? What are the factors needed in order for a report to lead to an investigation?
- For children who were taken out of their home, what process do parents have to go through in order to be reunited with their children? Refer to this video to help understand the court process:
Part 2: Megan’s Law
- Read the Zgoba, Jennings, & Salerno (2018) article (located in the files section below).
- Based on their findings, what are your thoughts requiring convicted sex offenders to register?
- Are there parts of this process you would change/improve? If so, what would those improvements be?
PLEASE be very informative and write one paragraph for each. Use good grammar please!!