As you read, consider how educational goals and the American value placed on educational success could produce strain as detailed by sociologist Robert Merton.
Then write a 2 page paper APA format, that applies Merton’s Anomie Theory “modes of adaptation” to educational cheating.
For your paper, begin with a summary of your selected article. What form or forms of academic dishonesty were presented? What rationalization, motivations, neutralizations, excuses, or contextual considerations for cheating were detailed?
Write a paper responding to these questions:Which of Merton’s adaptations (ritualists, rebelling, innovation, or retreatism) best apply to the article? Why?
Mertons 5 modes of adaptations
– Conformity Most common mode of adaptation, believe in culturally defined goals, believe in system optimistically believe you “can do”, differed gratification, Internalization = blames self if doesn’t succeed.
– Innovation Wants the same thing as the conformist (success, value of rewards) but uses illegitimate means to acquiring them, more likely to be criminal
– Ritualism Modifies goals and becomes a modified conformist. Accepts modified goals/rewards, goes through means but never reaches end, slow progress
– Retreatism Doesn’t care about goals and hwo you go about getting. Tends to join the cults, “dropping out”, quietly accepts defeatism
– Rebellion Seeks to organize rather than retreat, leaders of social movements, blames system if things go wrong, causes stress by recruiting others